Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
New England News
Wed June 26, 2013
Markey Win Sets Up Special Election For House
The election of Edward Markey to the U.S. Senate sets the stage for yet another special election in Massachusetts, this one to fill the U.S. House seat that Markey has held for more than 36 years.
Several Democrats had already expressed interest in running for the 5th congressional district seat if Markey won the special Senate election. They include Middlesex Sheriff Peter Koutoujian, state Sens. Katherine Clark, Karen Spilka and William Brownsberger, and state Rep. Carl Sciortino.
The district includes a number of cities and towns to the west and north of Boston, including Framingham, Waltham, Medford and Malden.
Under state law, the special election will be held within 160 days of Markey formally resigning his House seat.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.