Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
New England News
Mon November 18, 2013
Mass. Ballot Question Supporters Facing Deadline
A key deadline is approaching for supporters of proposed questions for the 2014 Massachusetts state ballot.
Backers are working to collect at least 68,911 signatures around Massachusetts to allow the initiative petitions to remain alive. Those signatures must be presented to city and town clerks by Wednesday so they can be certified in time to be submitted to the secretary of state's office by a Dec. 4 deadline.
Among the proposed ballot questions is an expansion of the state's beverage deposit law to include bottled water and other non-carbonated drinks.
Others proposals call for raising the state's minimum wage, creating a statewide policy for earned sick time, reducing excessive hospital operating margins and repealing the state's casino gambling law.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.