Most Active Stories
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New England News
Thu December 19, 2013
Mass. Gaming Commission Approves Mohegan Sun Waiver Request
The Massachusetts Gaming Commission has formally approved a waiver to allow Mohegan Sun to go forward with a casino project in eastern Massachusetts
The commission voted unanimously Thursday to waive a requirement that a binding voter referendum occur before the end of the year deadline for all casino license applications. Mohegan Sun wants to build a casino on land in Revere owned by Suffolk Downs race track. An earlier casino proposal that would have been located in Revere and East Boston was turned down by East Boston voters. Commission Chairman Stephen Crosby acknowledged the second vote that is being allowed in Revere is controversial.
"I just want to note that we are sensitive to the fact that there are competing interests and competing passions on this."
Mohegan Sun partnered with Suffolk Downs after losing a voter referendum to build a casino in Palmer.