Gov. Deval Patrick isn't looking for any new laws or regulations after a natural gas explosion injured more than 20 people and damaged 42 buildings in Springfield.
Patrick told reporters Monday that the explosion was the result of human error and there's only so much that regulations or laws can do to prevent such an incident.
State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan on Sunday said the Friday night blast was caused when a utility worker accidentally punctured a high-pressure pipeline while looking for a leak.
Coan said the employee was following older markings on a sidewalk that indicated the location of the gas line, but that the markings were incorrect.
Patrick said that while an appropriate level of care is needed to avoid such accidents, he doesn't think they represent a gap in regulation.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.