Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
New England News
Wed January 16, 2013
Mass. Gov. Patrick plans to file gun control bill
BOSTON (AP) — Gov. Deval Patrick is planning to file a gun control bill as Massachusetts lawmakers continue weighing ways to reduce gun violence.
Patrick has previously pushed for a series of measures including restricting gun owners to purchasing one firearm a month.
He's also proposed clamping down on "straw purchasers" who buy guns legally and then resell them to convicted felons and others barred from owning guns.
Patrick has said he also wants to enroll Massachusetts in a national mental health registry for firearm background checks and tighten laws governing who may handle machine guns.
He plans to file his bill Wednesday.
The push for new gun legislation has intensified in the wake of the school shootings in Newtown, Conn.
Lawmakers are considering other measures including requiring gun owners to buy liability insurance and setting tighter standards for firearms licenses.