Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
New England News
Thu January 17, 2013
Mass. groups to hold transgender awareness day
BOSTON (AP) — Transgender groups will host a community action day at the State House to push for public accommodation protections for transgender youth, adults and family.
The Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition and the Transgender Equal Rights Coalition say they are hosting the action Thursday to educate legislators about the necessity of protections in establishments open to the general public. Those include health care facilities, public transit and bus stations, hotels, motels, campsites, restaurants, bars, nightclubs, convention centers, museums, libraries and galleries.
The groups say transgender youth and adults encounter unfair treatment, denying of services, mocking or hostile language, and threats of harm when accessing public services. They say the state's current nondiscrimination laws do not include protections for transgender people in public accommodation settings.