Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New England News
Fri January 18, 2013
Mass. Lt. Gov. Murray Drops Out of Race for Governor
BOSTON (AP) — Massachusetts Lt. Gov. Timothy Murray has decided against running for governor in 2014.
A political aide to Murray confirmed Friday that Murray, a former mayor of Worcester, has sent an email to supporters announcing his decision to skip the race.
The Democrat said in an interview with the Telegram & Gazette of Worcester that he wanted to spend more time with his wife and two daughters.
The decision could dramatically alter the landscape for the next gubernatorial election. Gov. Deval Patrick has ruled out running for a third term.
Democratic State Treasurer Steve Grossman has said he is leaning strongly toward running.
Murray had collected nearly $447,000 in contributions through the end of December, according to an Associated Press review of state campaign finance records, the most of the state's constitutional officers.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.