Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
New England News
Mon July 29, 2013
Mass. Taxes On Gas, Cigarettes To Increase
Massachusetts consumers will soon be paying higher taxes for gasoline and cigarettes.
The state's gasoline tax jumps 3 cents on Wednesday, from 21 cents per gallon to 24 cents.
Smokers will also have to shell out more for a pack of cigarettes, with the excise tax jumping $1 from $2.51 per pack to $3.51 per pack.
The state has alerted retailers to begin collecting the new taxes, which were part of a transportation finance bill approved by the Legislature over the veto of Gov. Deval Patrick. He had sought a further increase in the gas tax if tolls on the western portion of the Massachusetts Turnpike come down in 2017.
The new law also imposes a 6.25 percent sales tax on computer software services.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.