Most Active Stories
- Oakland Sweeps Yankees 3-2 In 18 Innings
- Report Cards Assessing Vermont Legislature on Business Issues Released
- Dr. Elizabeth Greene, Western University – Roman Shoes
- Dr. Leah Lakdawala, Michigan State University – Prenatal Sexism
- Dr. Thomas Wartenberg, Mount Holyoke College – Philosophy of Children’s Books
New England News
Thu January 10, 2013
Massachusetts Authorities Investigate Sudden School Closing
Authorities in Massachusetts are investigating the abrupt closing this week of a for-profit occupational school. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill Reports.
The American Career Institute ceased operations in Massachusetts Wednesday, apparently without warning to students and staff. The school had five locations, including one in Springfield. Massachusetts Undersecretary for Consumer Affairs Barbara Anthony said about 14 hundred students are affected.
Anthony said the school charged up to $15 thousand for a nine month certificate course in fields including digital arts, database administration and allied health. The Massachusetts Attorney General ‘s office is also investigating the school.