Most Active Stories
- Cheerios Commercial Leaves Bitter Taste
- Breaking the Sound Barrier - NPR Labs Brings Radio To Hearing Impaired
- Dr. Dorothy Peteet, Columbia University – Hudson River and Climate Records
- Dr. Sara Konrath, University of Michigan – Age and Empathy
- Mass. Medical Marijuana Regulations Approved, Communities Prepare For Dispensaries
New England News
Thu January 10, 2013
Massachusetts Authorities Investigate Sudden School Closing
Authorities in Massachusetts are investigating the abrupt closing this week of a for-profit occupational school. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill Reports.
The American Career Institute ceased operations in Massachusetts Wednesday, apparently without warning to students and staff. The school had five locations, including one in Springfield. Massachusetts Undersecretary for Consumer Affairs Barbara Anthony said about 14 hundred students are affected.
Anthony said the school charged up to $15 thousand for a nine month certificate course in fields including digital arts, database administration and allied health. The Massachusetts Attorney General ‘s office is also investigating the school.