Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
New England News
Thu June 21, 2012
Massachusetts Casino Panel to Take over Racing Commission
The Massachusetts Gaming Commission is holding its first meeting after taking control of the state racing commission. WAMC’s Tristan O’Neill reports…
The new five-member gambling panel is charged with licensing and overseeing up to three casinos and a slots parlor in Massachusetts.
Under the casino law approved by lawmakers and signed by Governor Deval Patrick, the panel is charged with overseeing virtually all gambling in the state, except for the lottery.
That includes taking over the responsibilities of the state racing commission.
The gambling panel begins that job with a meeting Thursday morning at 1000 Washington Street in Boston.
The head of the casino panel had initially asked Patrick and lawmakers to push back the deadline for taking over the racing commission.
Tristan O’Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.