Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
New England News
Thu June 21, 2012
Massachusetts Casino Panel to Take over Racing Commission
The Massachusetts Gaming Commission is holding its first meeting after taking control of the state racing commission. WAMC’s Tristan O’Neill reports…
The new five-member gambling panel is charged with licensing and overseeing up to three casinos and a slots parlor in Massachusetts.
Under the casino law approved by lawmakers and signed by Governor Deval Patrick, the panel is charged with overseeing virtually all gambling in the state, except for the lottery.
That includes taking over the responsibilities of the state racing commission.
The gambling panel begins that job with a meeting Thursday morning at 1000 Washington Street in Boston.
The head of the casino panel had initially asked Patrick and lawmakers to push back the deadline for taking over the racing commission.
Tristan O’Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.