Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
New England News
Tue August 7, 2012
Massachusetts Governor Approves Sales Tax Holiday
Massachusetts shoppers will be able to purchase certain items free of sales tax this upcoming weekend, as Gov. Deval Patrick has given final approval to economic development legislation.
The bill that Patrick signed into law on Tuesday aims to spur economic development and job creation in the state. It also includes the provision for a two-day sales tax holiday Aug. 11-12 for certain purchases under $2,500.
The new law calls for nearly $30 million in state grants to spur economic development, particularly in scientific research and advanced technology manufacturing and would fund research projects at the University of Massachusetts and other state universities with matching grants.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.