Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
New England News
Mon September 17, 2012
Massachusetts Health Commissioner Resigns Over Lab Scandal
The Massachusetts public health commissioner has resigned over the scandal at a state drug lab. WAMC’s Paul Tuthill reports.
In a resignation letter, John Auerbach said what happened at the drug lab was unacceptable and the buck stoped with him. Governor Patrick accepted Auerbach’s resignation. The lab was closed by state police late last month after it was discovered that a chemist who had worked there since 2003 may have deliberately tampered with evidence in tens of thousands of criminal cases. The chemist resigned in March. Last week, the lab’s director was fired and her supervisor resigned. Gov Patrick has talked about setting up what he called..a boiler room…with prosecutors and defense attorneys..as a means of sorting through the cases that were impacted by the tainted evidence.