Most Active Stories
- Oakland Sweeps Yankees 3-2 In 18 Innings
- Report Cards Assessing Vermont Legislature on Business Issues Released
- Dr. Elizabeth Greene, Western University – Roman Shoes
- Dr. Leah Lakdawala, Michigan State University – Prenatal Sexism
- Dr. Thomas Wartenberg, Mount Holyoke College – Philosophy of Children’s Books
New England News
Wed August 1, 2012
Massachusetts Legislature Approves Transportation Earmarks
The Massachusetts Legislature has approved a roughly $1.4 billion transportation bond bill loaded with election year earmarks. WAMC’S Paul Tuthill reports.
The bill authorizes the state to borrow for major state highway and public transit projects, along with more than 200 earmarked local transportation projects in every region of the state.
The authorization to borrow does not guarantee that all of the projects will ultimately be built. Those decisions will be made by state officials in the future.
The bill was approved late Tuesday night in the closing hours of the two-year legislative session.