Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Two NYS Legislators Look To Regulate E-Cigarettes
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
New England News
Tue July 24, 2012
Massachusetts Lottery Hits Sales Record
It was a record breaking year for the state lottery in Massachusetts, as we hear from WAMC’s Paul Tuthill
State Treasurer Steven Grossman said Tuesday that the lottery pulled in an estimated $981 million in net profit during the state fiscal year that ended June 30. That was the highest profit in the lottery's 40-year history, eclipsing by $30 million the previous record set in fiscal year 2006.
Lottery officials say the record-breaking profit was also $87 million above what was initially projected for the 12-month period. Lottery proceeds are returned to Massachusetts cities and towns as unrestricted local aid.
In total, lottery sales in the last fiscal year reached $4.7 billion, surpassing the previous record set in fiscal year 2008 by $31 million.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.