Most Active Stories
- Cheerios Commercial Leaves Bitter Taste
- Breaking the Sound Barrier - NPR Labs Brings Radio To Hearing Impaired
- Dr. Dorothy Peteet, Columbia University – Hudson River and Climate Records
- Dr. Sara Konrath, University of Michigan – Age and Empathy
- Mass. Medical Marijuana Regulations Approved, Communities Prepare For Dispensaries
New England News
Mon June 18, 2012
Massachusetts Set to Honor 2012 Teacher of the Year
Governor Deval Patrick and education officials are planning to honor Massachusetts' top teachers at a Statehouse ceremony. WAMC’s Tristan O’Neill reports…
As part of today's event, awards will be presented to the 2012 Massachusetts Teacher of the Year, the 2012 Massachusetts History Teacher of the Year and winners and finalists of the 2011 Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching.
State Secretary of Education Paul Reville and Commissioner of Elementary and Secondary Education Mitchell Chester are also scheduled to attend the 10 a.m. event at the Statehouse.
A federal report released last month found Massachusetts eighth graders were among the top performers on a national science proficiency exam.
Massachusetts students had an average score of 161 out of 300 on the 2011 National Assessment of Educational Progress. The national average was 151.
Tristan O’Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.