Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New England News
Thu August 9, 2012
Massachusetts To Start Taking Applications From Casino Companies
The Massachusetts Gaming Commission, Thursday, will start accepting applications from companies that want to vie for casino licenses..WAMC’s Paul Tuthill reports.
For a $400,000, non refundable fee, gaming companies can become certified applicants in Massachusetts. Gaming Commissioner Bruce Stebbins says only companies that are certified will be permitted to contact state agencies to discuss traffic, environmental and other aspects of their projects.
The gaming commission will eventually issue casino licenses, one in each of three geographic regions.. The western region has generated interest from several major casino companies. The license in southeaster Massachusetts is reserved for the Wampanoag Indian Tribe if they can convince the federal government put land into trust…