Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
New England News
Tue September 17, 2013
Mayoral Preliminaries To Be Held In Mass. Cities
Voters in several Massachusetts cities are heading to the polls to whittle down the number of candidates running for mayor.
Holyoke Mayor Alex Morse, the state's youngest mayor at age 24, has four challengers in his bid for a second term.
In Lawrence, Mayor William Lantigua faces five challengers in today’s preliminary election, with the two top-vote getters advancing to the general election in November.
Lantigua's first term as mayor has been marked by several controversies, including allegations in a recent lawsuit from Attorney General Martha Coakley that he violated campaign finance laws.
Newton Mayor Setti Warren, who briefly ran for the U.S. Senate seat eventually won by Elizabeth Warren, squares off against three other candidates.
Mayoral votes are also scheduled today in Amesbury, Brockton, Everett, Lynn, Newburyport and Salem.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.