Most Active Stories
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
New England News
Mon September 24, 2012
Mayors Endorse Vermont Governor's Re-election
Seven out of Vermont's eight city mayors — including one Republican and one former Republican who's now an independent — are endorsing the re-election of Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin.
The group at a Statehouse news conference on Monday was led by Barre Mayor Thom Lauzon, a Republican who two years ago endorsed Shumlin's then-opponent, Lt. Governor Brian Dubie.
Lauzon says he appreciated Shumlin's leadership following flooding in Barre 16 months ago, and on transitional housing for people being released from the corrections system.
The mayors of St. Albans, Newport, Winooski, Burlington, Montpelier and Rutland joined Lauzon in endorsing Shumlin.
Of Vermont's mayors, only Michael Daniels of Vergennes didn't join the group. Daniels says he works for the state and doesn't consider it proper to endorse anyone.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.