Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
Hudson Valley News
Tue September 11, 2012
Memories of Service Members Killed in War on Terror Honored on 9/11
Army Sgt. Mark Palmateer of Wappinger was killed on June 26, 2008 during combat in Afghanistan.
To honor his memory and those of the many others from the region who have died since the attacks, the Town of Wappinger for the second year is holding a remembrance ceremony at the future site of a memorial to honor Palmateer.
Town Councilman William Beale has been coordinating the local commemoration for the past two years.
“Sgt Palmateer was the first soldier from Dutchess County to lose his life in the war on terrorism,” Beale said. “On September 11th, we always want to remember what he did for our community and our country.”
In Wappinger, a 2,700 pound, 13 foot steel beam from the World Trade Center, will become a permanent piece of the completed memorial.