Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
New England News
Wed May 22, 2013
MGM To Kick Off Casino Referendum Campaign
Officials with MGM Resorts plan to kick off a campaign on Wednesday designed to convince voters in Springfield Massachusetts to approve a casino deal.
MGM officials will be joined by Mayor Domenic Sarno and other backers of the casino on stage at Springfield Symphony Hall late Wednesday afternoon to kick off the campaign. It will promote a yes vote on the city wide casino referendum scheduled for July 16th. The chairman of an anti casino group, Michael Kogut, said a kick off rally for the campaign to defeat the referendum will take place next month.
Springfield voters must ratify the host community agreement between MGM and the city before the company can apply to the state for the lone casino license authorized in western Massachusetts. Other casino projects are proposed in Palmer and West Springfield.