Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
New England News
Tue August 21, 2012
MGM Resorts International To Announce Springfield Casino Plan
Casino giant MGM Resorts International is going to unveil plans Wednesday for a resort casino in Springfield Massachusetts. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
At a formal announcement top MGM officials plan to release architectural renderings of what is described as a major entertainment complex and provide site tours. Several city councilors have confirmed MGM’s interest in building a casino in a three block area of the south end of downtown. Its an area where several buildings were damaged by last year’s tornado. Ameristar casinos has also proposed a project in Springfield, and more are expected according Paula Meara, who chairs the city’s casino site committee.
Also competing for the sole western Massachusetts casino license is Mohegan Sun, which has had a project in development for years in Palmer.