Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Where Did That Fried Chicken Stereotype Come From?
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New England News
Tue December 11, 2012
MGM,Penn National Pitch Casino Plans At Springfield Forum
Top executives from two high powered casino companies pitched their plans for Springfield Massachusetts Tuesday night at a forum attended by several hundred people. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports
Both MGM and Penn National vowed to do much more than drop a casino in a box in downtown Springfield. Penn president Timothy Wilmott said their proposal includes urban renewal from North Main Street to the riverfront.
MGM’s CEO Jim Murran said his company’s project would be an entertainment mecca drawing tourists to Springfield’s other attractions.
The companies pledged to hire a largely local , and diverse workforce.
Both companies pledged to take the high road in their high stakes competition to win the lone casino license in western Massachusetts.. Residents questioned the projects impacts on traffic and crime.