Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
WAMC New York News
Thu January 12, 2006
Minority state workers in the minority
By Jessica Bloustein
Albany, NY – Cuts to civil service positions in New York State in the last two decades have several lawmakers and labor unions claiming the state has discriminatory hiring practices. The Department of Civil Service disagrees. The stage is set this legislative session for what could either be cooperation or confrontation when it comes to increasing the minority presence in the state workforce.
WAMC's Jessica Bloustein spoke with DCS and lawmakers about minority hiring practices.