Most Active Stories
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- The Gooey Chocolate Cookie Recipe That's Worth $5,000
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change
WAMC New York News
Thu January 12, 2006
Minority state workers in the minority
By Jessica Bloustein
Albany, NY – Cuts to civil service positions in New York State in the last two decades have several lawmakers and labor unions claiming the state has discriminatory hiring practices. The Department of Civil Service disagrees. The stage is set this legislative session for what could either be cooperation or confrontation when it comes to increasing the minority presence in the state workforce.
WAMC's Jessica Bloustein spoke with DCS and lawmakers about minority hiring practices.