Most Active Stories
- Cheerios Commercial Leaves Bitter Taste
- Breaking the Sound Barrier - NPR Labs Brings Radio To Hearing Impaired
- Dr. Dorothy Peteet, Columbia University – Hudson River and Climate Records
- Dr. Sara Konrath, University of Michigan – Age and Empathy
- Mass. Medical Marijuana Regulations Approved, Communities Prepare For Dispensaries
North Country News
Sun January 27, 2013
'Miracle On Ice' Jersey Going to Auction in NYC
It's one of the greatest sporting moments of the 20th century: the winning goal Mike Eruzione scored against the Soviet hockey team at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid. Now the 58-year-old "Miracle On Ice" captain is parting with his iconic No. 21 USA jersey, hockey stick and other Olympic paraphernalia.
Heritage Auctions is selling the items in New York on Feb. 23 to commemorate the 33rd anniversary of the historic game. The white jersey is expected to fetch more than $1 million.
Sports memorabilia experts say it could go considerably higher. They say the game was as much about history as it was about sports because of its timing during the Cold War.
The Americans beat the favored Soviet team 4-3 with 10 minutes left in the semifinal game.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.