Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
North Country News
Tue August 20, 2013
More EEE Found in VT Mosquitoes
The Vermont Health Department says aerial spraying of a pesticide is planned in southern Addison County after Eastern equine encephalitis has been detected in more mosquitoes.
The spraying will take place Thursday and next Tuesday around a swampy area in Whiting, weather permitting.
Health Commissioner Harry Chen says spraying may reduce the risk of infection, but warns it's still important to take precautions against mosquito bites.
EEE was found for the first time in Vermont mosquitoes last year. Two people contracted the illness and later died. Mosquitoes have also tested positive for West Nile virus in Addison, Rutland and Franklin counties.
No human or animal cases of either disease have been reported this year.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.