Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Two NYS Legislators Look To Regulate E-Cigarettes
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
New York News
Wed December 12, 2012
Moreland Commission Hearing On LI
Long Island's two county executives testified before a state commission investigating utility companies in the wake of Superstorm Sandy. WAMC's Dave Lucas has more...
The Moreland Commission on Utility Storm Preparation and Response held a public hearing Tuesday night at SUNY College of Old Westbury. and Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone and Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano were called to testify . The hearing targeted utilities' preparedness and response as well as making recommendations for restructuring utilities.
There was a public comment period where citizens fielded suggestions, among them, one to take over the Long Island Power Authority and make it a customer-owned co-op.
Another hearing is set for Dec. 20. That will focus specifically on LIPA and National Grid's storm response. A location for that hearing has not been announced.