Most Active Stories
- Cheerios Commercial Leaves Bitter Taste
- Breaking the Sound Barrier - NPR Labs Brings Radio To Hearing Impaired
- Dr. Dorothy Peteet, Columbia University – Hudson River and Climate Records
- Dr. Sara Konrath, University of Michigan – Age and Empathy
- Mass. Medical Marijuana Regulations Approved, Communities Prepare For Dispensaries
New York News
Wed December 12, 2012
Moreland Commission Hearing On LI
Long Island's two county executives testified before a state commission investigating utility companies in the wake of Superstorm Sandy. WAMC's Dave Lucas has more...
The Moreland Commission on Utility Storm Preparation and Response held a public hearing Tuesday night at SUNY College of Old Westbury. and Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone and Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano were called to testify . The hearing targeted utilities' preparedness and response as well as making recommendations for restructuring utilities.
There was a public comment period where citizens fielded suggestions, among them, one to take over the Long Island Power Authority and make it a customer-owned co-op.
Another hearing is set for Dec. 20. That will focus specifically on LIPA and National Grid's storm response. A location for that hearing has not been announced.