Most Active Stories
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change
- Dr. Chad Jensen, Brigham Young University - Specific types of bullying have specific results
- From The Museum To The Dorm Room: Williams Art Loan Program
New York News
Wed December 12, 2012
Moreland Commission Hearing On LI
Long Island's two county executives testified before a state commission investigating utility companies in the wake of Superstorm Sandy. WAMC's Dave Lucas has more...
The Moreland Commission on Utility Storm Preparation and Response held a public hearing Tuesday night at SUNY College of Old Westbury. and Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone and Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano were called to testify . The hearing targeted utilities' preparedness and response as well as making recommendations for restructuring utilities.
There was a public comment period where citizens fielded suggestions, among them, one to take over the Long Island Power Authority and make it a customer-owned co-op.
Another hearing is set for Dec. 20. That will focus specifically on LIPA and National Grid's storm response. A location for that hearing has not been announced.