Most Active Stories
- Boston Bombing Suspect's Body Finally 'Entombed,' Police Say
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- Dr. Zlatan Krizan, Iowa State University – Envy and Narcissism
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
North Country News
Wed March 28, 2012
MTA Rail Contract Benefits Plattsburgh Manufacturing Sector
The 600-million dollar contract to build state-of-the-art rail cars for the MTA by Bombardier Transit will retain 300 jobs at it's Plattsburgh manufacturing plant, and an additional 200 jobs at its suppliers. In a conference call, Governor Cuomo said the announcement of the contract is an example of the goals within the state budget.
MTA Chairman Joseph Lhota noted that the unanimous approval of the contract by the Board of Directors will help retain current jobs, while creating new jobs and strengthening the component manufacturers and supply sectors across the state.
Plattsburgh North Country Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Garry Douglas says the Plattsburgh area has become one of the nation's leading centers for transportation equipment production.
Garry Douglas sees the contract as an example of how interconnected the entire state is becoming.
The 300 new Bombardier rail cars will be delivered in late 2016 and replace the oldest subway cars that are currently in use.