Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- How Technology Is Transforming Archaeology
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New England News
Sat February 23, 2013
Municipal Snow Budgets Battered By Weekend Storms
With a snow storm for a third consecutive weekend, snow removal budgets in Massachusetts are being drained.
Weekend snow storms bring the added expense of overtime for many DPW workers. With a third weekend storm, many municipalities report snow removal budgets have been exhausted. Springfield Mayor Domenic Sarno said half the $1.2 million budgeted for snow removal was spent before the blizzard two weeks ago.
Cities and towns have spent a lot of money in between the storms to remove snow from on-street parking spaces and to cut down snow banks that blocked sight lines at traffic intersections.