Most Active Stories
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
New England News
Mon March 3, 2014
Murphy Calls For Economic Sanctions Against Russia
Connecticut U.S. Senator Chris Murphy is calling for economic sanctions against Russia in response to its military presence in Crimea.
The Connecticut Post reports that Murphy told a gathering of Ukrainian-Americans on Saturday that refusal by the U.S. to participate in the planned Sochi summit of the eight wealthiest nations would send a strong message.
He also said the U.S. could cut off discussions on new trade agreements and suspend all current economic trade with Russia.
Murphy, who chairs the Senate Foreign Relations subcommittee on Europe, said Europe needs to take a stronger stance.
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry called Russia's military incursion into Ukraine "an incredible act of aggression."
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.