Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
New York News
Tue October 2, 2012
Name of slain upstate NY college student released
Authorities have released the name of a college student who was found beaten to death inside her dormitory room at a western New York college. WAMC's Dave Lucas reports. Officials at the State University of New York College at Brockport say 18-year-old Alexandra Kogut of New Hartford was a freshman majoring in communication. The Monroe County Sheriff's Office says her body was found shortly before 3 a.m. Saturday in her dorm room at SUNY Brockport, 15 miles west of Rochester. About an hour later, police arrested her boyfriend at a Thruway rest stop near Syracuse. Authorities have charged 21-year-old Clayton Whittemore of New Hartford with second-degree murder. Whittemore is enrolled at Utica College. He has pleaded not guilty to the charge and is being held without bail in the Monroe County Jail.