Most Active Stories
- Oakland Sweeps Yankees 3-2 In 18 Innings
- Report Cards Assessing Vermont Legislature on Business Issues Released
- Dr. Elizabeth Greene, Western University – Roman Shoes
- Dr. Leah Lakdawala, Michigan State University – Prenatal Sexism
- Dr. Thomas Wartenberg, Mount Holyoke College – Philosophy of Children’s Books
New England News
Thu July 26, 2012
Nearly Two Dozen New Charter Schools Proposed In Massachusetts
Nearly two dozen preliminary applications have been filled for new charter schools in Massachusetts. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
The Massachusetts Department of Education said it received prospectuses from 22 groups hoping to open new charter schools… The increase, from seven applications last year, is a result of state education officials lifting a moratorium on new applications in communities that were nearing statutory enrollment caps. Four applications for new charter schools in the greater Springfield area were filed. Full applications from groups that pass the first round review are due in November. The State Board of Education is expected to vote to award new charters at a meeting in February.