Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
New England News
Mon July 2, 2012
New England Coast Assessed For Wind Energy Projects
A top federal official says completed environmental assessments will lead to major wind energy projects off the southern New England coast. WAMC”s Paul Tuthill reports.
U.S. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar announced the completion of the environmental reviews Monday and said the findings would help place the US at the forefront of the renewable energy revolution. The environmental assessments of areas off the Massachusetts and Rhode Island coasts will assist future leasing decisions under the Obama administration’s offshore wind energy initiative. The federal government has approved a wind power project in Nantucket Sound..known as Cape Wind. Opponents have been fighting it for more than a decade. They claim to have found documents that show officials with the Federal Aviation Administration felt political pressure to say the wind turbines would not compromise safety…