Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Two NYS Legislators Look To Regulate E-Cigarettes
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
Tue December 4, 2012
New England Jobless Rate Unchanged in October
The unemployment rate in New England was unchanged in October and remains below the national average.
The New England Information Office of the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics said Tuesday that the jobless rate in the six-state region was 7.4 percent in October, the same as in September. The regional rate was 7.5 percent a year ago.
Rhode Island's unemployment rate of 10.4 percent is the highest in New England and the second highest in the nation. Vermont's rate of 5.5 percent is the lowest in the region.
The national unemployment rate in October was 7.9 percent — down one percentage point from a year ago.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.