Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
Mon November 19, 2012
New England Resorts Ramp up Snowmaking Abilities
Ski areas across New England have made big investments in low-energy, high-efficiency snowmaking to ensure the slopes are snow-covered earlier and longer than last season.
At this time last year, Stowe Mountain Resort had six trails open. This year the resort opened Saturday — a week earlier than in 2011 — with nearly double the number of trails, thanks to $4.7 million in snowmaking improvements.
This summer, Stowe added 325 energy-efficient snow tower guns, replaced 150 land snow guns and put in 16 fan guns.
Maine's Sunday River spent $1 million this summer to install 300 high-efficiency snow guns. Now it has at least six trails open, compared to two this time last year.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.