Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
- The Truth About The Left Brain / Right Brain Relationship
Mon November 19, 2012
New England Resorts Ramp up Snowmaking Abilities
Ski areas across New England have made big investments in low-energy, high-efficiency snowmaking to ensure the slopes are snow-covered earlier and longer than last season.
At this time last year, Stowe Mountain Resort had six trails open. This year the resort opened Saturday — a week earlier than in 2011 — with nearly double the number of trails, thanks to $4.7 million in snowmaking improvements.
This summer, Stowe added 325 energy-efficient snow tower guns, replaced 150 land snow guns and put in 16 fan guns.
Maine's Sunday River spent $1 million this summer to install 300 high-efficiency snow guns. Now it has at least six trails open, compared to two this time last year.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.