Most Active Stories
- Retracing The Steps Of Solomon Northup In Saratoga Springs
- Health Summit Focuses On Gender Equality In Clinical Research
- Vox Pop : Medical Monday - Dr. Richard Horowitz : 2/24/14
- Senate Republicans Block Sanders Omnibus Veterans Bill
- Dr. David Trilling, Northern Arizona University - Can an asteroid impact Earth?
Mon November 19, 2012
New England Resorts Ramp up Snowmaking Abilities
Ski areas across New England have made big investments in low-energy, high-efficiency snowmaking to ensure the slopes are snow-covered earlier and longer than last season.
At this time last year, Stowe Mountain Resort had six trails open. This year the resort opened Saturday — a week earlier than in 2011 — with nearly double the number of trails, thanks to $4.7 million in snowmaking improvements.
This summer, Stowe added 325 energy-efficient snow tower guns, replaced 150 land snow guns and put in 16 fan guns.
Maine's Sunday River spent $1 million this summer to install 300 high-efficiency snow guns. Now it has at least six trails open, compared to two this time last year.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.