Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
New England News
Thu August 30, 2012
New England Unemployment Rate Rises
The unemployment rate in New England climbed in July but remains below the national average.
The New England office of the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics said Thursday the jobless rate in the six-state region was 7.1 percent last month, up from 6.8 percent in June.
Rhode Island's 10.8 percent unemployment rate is the highest in New England and the second highest in the U.S.
By contrast, Vermont's rate of 5 percent is the lowest in the region and the fifth lowest in the country.
The national jobless rate in July was 8.3 percent.
The New England rate is down seven-tenths of a percentage point from a year ago.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.