Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
North Country News
Mon November 26, 2012
New Mexico Man in Custody in Murder-for-Hire Plot in Vermont
Vermont State Police say they're just learning the details of what's being called a murder for hire plot involving two New Mexico men, one of whom had befriended a Vermont man serving a life sentence in a New Mexico prison for killing a Barre, Vt., girl in 2000.
Detective Matthew Hill says that 41-year-old Mark Staake was arrested by Vermont police on probation violation charges Nov. 19 at the Highgate Springs border crossing.
New York State Police say the next day Staake's nephew, 23-year-old Tanner Ruane, was arrested in the Albany, N.Y., area. He's charged in New Mexico with conspiracy to commit murder.
Police say there were two targets in the St. Albans, Vt., area.
While in prison, Staake befriended Dana Martin, who was convicted in Vermont of killing 15-year-old Deandra Fluorucci.
Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.