Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
WAMC New York News
Tue May 18, 2004
New Paltz Mayor Looks For Ban Lift
By Allison Dunne
New Paltz, NY – A New York state supreme court judge heard from both sides in a lawsuit. The case centers around whether New Paltz Mayor Jason West had the right to marry same-sex couples without a license. The mayor has been abiding by a temporary restraining order that bans him from presiding over gay marriages. The lawsuit on behalf of a New Paltz village trustee aims to make that ban permanent. WAMC's Hudson Valley Bureau Chief Allison Dunne reports.