Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- F-35 To Be Housed At Vermont Air Guard Base
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- White House Cites Pre-Existing Condition Case From Its Own Ranks
New England News
Wed September 5, 2012
New West Nile Case Confirmed in Mass.
State health officials are confirming a ninth human case of West Nile virus in Massachusetts.
The Department of Public Health said Wednesday that the most recent case is a Middlesex County woman in her 30s who has recovered. Six other cases have been reported in Middlesex County this year, and one each in Hampden and Berkshire counties.
The health department said the mosquito-borne illness also has been confirmed in a horse in Hampden County.
The findings have led officials to declare a new "critical" mosquito threat level in Chicopee and "high" threat level in Granby, Holyoke, Springfield, South Hadley, and West Springfield.
Last year there were six human cases in the state and one in a horse.
People are urged to take precautions against mosquitoes, including using repellent and protective clothing and avoiding outdoor activities at night.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.