Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change
- Dr. Chad Jensen, Brigham Young University - Specific types of bullying have specific results
Capital District News
Mon December 3, 2012
New York Bus Tour for Education to End in Albany
Hundreds of students, parents and teachers are getting ready to head to Albany to ask Gov. Andrew Cuomo and lawmakers for more money for education.
Organizers say 10-15 buses will depart from every corner of New York Dec. 5. Once in Albany, the group will march from the State Museum to the Capital.
The event is being called the Educate NY Now Express tour and is a response to deep cuts in state educationaid combined with a new property tax cap limiting what districts can raise through tax increases.
Cuomo's last budget increased school aid by $805 million but districts say that doesn't nearly make up for what they've lost.
Meanwhile, a group that won a funding court case against the state in 2006 says it's considering another lawsuit.