Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- North Adams Goes Unsilent: Electronic Audio Experience Fills Streets
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
New York News
Fri May 25, 2012
New York Yankees Say They're Not For Sale
The New York Yankees say they aren't for sale. WAMC's Dave Lucas reports…
The Daily News reported Thursday that there were rumors in Major League Baseball and New York banking circles that the Steinbrenner family "is exploring the possibility of selling the Yankees."
Not so, says Yankees managing partner Hal Steinbrenner. He says the idea of a Yankees sale is "pure fiction" and "I expect that the Yankees will be in my family for many years to come."
Hal's father, George Steinbrenner, headed a group that bought the Yankees from CBS Inc. in 1973 for about $8.7 million net. The elder Steinbrenner died two years ago.
Yankees officials have also said the team is not for sale.
Dave Lucas, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.