Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- How Technology Is Transforming Archaeology
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
Hudson Valley News
Fri November 30, 2012
Newburgh Gun Buyback Plan Pushed Back
The planned gun buyback program in the City of Newburgh has been pushed back from the original December timeframe because participation is being expanded.
City Councilman Curlie Dillard said Orange County is becoming involved so the program will be held in January.
“We invited the county to partner with us and they have so graciously accepted, so we are working out details presently and the Greater Newburgh Partnership will also partner with us,” Dillard said.
Orange County has held previous gun buyback programs where weapons were turned in to police departments in the three cities.
While it is acknowledged that illegally possessed weapons held by criminals would not be turned in, weapons lying around the house are turned in by relatives of criminals or deceased family members.