Most Active Stories
- Next In NYS: Legal Marijuana?
- Family Of Norman Rockwell Angered Over Conclusions Drawn In New Rockwell Biography
- An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctor Away, And Statins Do, Too
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Robert Levenson, University of California Berkeley - Genetics of Marital Bliss
North Country News
Fri March 30, 2012
NH House Votes to Ban Abortion after 20 Weeks
The New Hampshire House has voted to prohibit abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy. WAMC's North Country Bureau Chief Pat Bradley reports...
The bill also would make it a felony for a provider, punishable by up to 15 years in prison for violating the proposed law. No penalty could be assessed against the mother.
Laura Thibault, interim executive director of the local NARAL Pro-Choice America group, says no elective abortions are provided in New Hampshire now beyond 20 weeks.
The bill exempts abortions to save the mother's life or avert the serious risk of substantial and irreversible physical impairment of a major bodily function. The bill also exempts abortions to save the life of the fetus.
NARAL says six states have bans in place for abortions beyond 20 weeks and nine, including New Hampshire, introduced bills this year.
I'm Pat Bradley, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.