Most Active Stories
- Scenic Rail Planned for Northern Berkshires, But Work Remains
- Prof. Nancy Prideaux, University of Texas Austin – Logistics of Black Friday
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Two NYS Legislators Look To Regulate E-Cigarettes
- Mayor-Elect, City Leaders Call For Verizon FIOS In Albany
North Country News
Wed March 20, 2013
NH House Votes to Raise Tobacco Tax 20 Cents
New Hampshire's House has voted to raise the tobacco tax 20 cents — a dime less than Governor Maggie Hassan counted on in her budget.
The House voted 193-167 Wednesday to raise the tax to $1.88 per pack of cigarettes. Each dime raises $10 million a year.
Even with the increase, New Hampshire would have a lower tax than neighboring states. Opponents argued it nevertheless put New Hampshire at a competitive disadvantage in attracting cross-border business.
The proposed increase would also apply to other tobacco products.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.