Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
North Country News
Wed March 20, 2013
NH House Votes to Raise Tobacco Tax 20 Cents
New Hampshire's House has voted to raise the tobacco tax 20 cents — a dime less than Governor Maggie Hassan counted on in her budget.
The House voted 193-167 Wednesday to raise the tax to $1.88 per pack of cigarettes. Each dime raises $10 million a year.
Even with the increase, New Hampshire would have a lower tax than neighboring states. Opponents argued it nevertheless put New Hampshire at a competitive disadvantage in attracting cross-border business.
The proposed increase would also apply to other tobacco products.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.