Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Williams College New Environmental Center Reaching For High Bar
North Country News
Wed March 20, 2013
NH House Votes to Raise Tobacco Tax 20 Cents
New Hampshire's House has voted to raise the tobacco tax 20 cents — a dime less than Governor Maggie Hassan counted on in her budget.
The House voted 193-167 Wednesday to raise the tax to $1.88 per pack of cigarettes. Each dime raises $10 million a year.
Even with the increase, New Hampshire would have a lower tax than neighboring states. Opponents argued it nevertheless put New Hampshire at a competitive disadvantage in attracting cross-border business.
The proposed increase would also apply to other tobacco products.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.