Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
North Country News
Wed March 20, 2013
NH House Votes to Raise Tobacco Tax 20 Cents
New Hampshire's House has voted to raise the tobacco tax 20 cents — a dime less than Governor Maggie Hassan counted on in her budget.
The House voted 193-167 Wednesday to raise the tax to $1.88 per pack of cigarettes. Each dime raises $10 million a year.
Even with the increase, New Hampshire would have a lower tax than neighboring states. Opponents argued it nevertheless put New Hampshire at a competitive disadvantage in attracting cross-border business.
The proposed increase would also apply to other tobacco products.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.