Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
- Conservation Group Praises USCG, EPA Oil-Spill Response Plan Effort
North Country News
Wed April 17, 2013
NH Legislator Sorry for Calling Women 'Vaginas'
A New Hampshire lawmaker is apologizing for referring to women as "vaginas" in an email to his House colleagues during a debate over repealing a law allowing people to use deadly force to defend themselves.
In an April 1 email, Republican Representative Peter Hansen of Amherst, NH referenced a speech given by another lawmaker, who described how he'd been able to retreat without using deadly force in public.
Hansen, who supports the law, wrote that only "children and vagina's" were missing from the lawmaker's anecdotes. He said Tuesday that he didn't regret the remark and had used the word for shock value.
On Wednesday, he said he was embarrassed for using it.
Other lawmakers, NARAL-Pro Choice New Hampshire and the state GOP chairwoman were among those saying the remark debased women.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.