Most Active Stories
- Dr. Russell Johnson, Michigan State University - The Harmful Effects of Smartphones
- The Great Debate - Single Payer or Private Insurance
- MA Health Connector Dwindles Backlog; Website Work Remains
- Dr. Russell Poldrack, University of Texas at Austin - Studying fluctuations of the brain
- A Whole Lotta Flash: Lesli Margherita In "Matilda: The Musical"
Hudson Valley News
Mon September 24, 2012
No jail for NY man who joined woman's suicide leap
A man who admitted helping his girlfriend commit suicide — by jumping with her off the Tappan Zee Bridge — has been sentenced to probation. WAMC's Dave Lucas reports.
The Westchester County district attorney's office says 45-year-old Christopher Shears will be getting continued mental health treatment rather than jail time.
Shears jumped last year with 29-year-old Alfa Choice after stopping their car on the Hudson River bridge. Both were from Ithaca.
Choice, a former teacher at the Bronx High School of Science, died from her injuries. Shears was critically injured.
He pleaded guilty to second-degree manslaughter under a provision for intending to aid a suicide.
© 2012 The Associated Press.