Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
WAMC New England News
Thu December 4, 2008
North Adams Unions and Mayor Lock Horns Over Insurance
By Charlie Deitz
North Adams, Ma – Labor unions and the mayor's office are at a stalemate in North Adams over switching to a new health insurance provider. Union leaders want the city to adopt the Group Insurance Commission, or GIC, the same plan state employees are currently enrolled with. December first was the deadline for the mayor to sign on, but he refused. In response, union members showed up at the city hall to protest the mayor's reluctance. WAMC's Berkshire Bureau Chief Charlie Deitz reports .