Most Active Stories
- New Analysis And Science Answer Governor Cuomo’s Fracking Concerns
- Owens Would Like To Continue In Economic Development Role
- Anchor Stores Announced For Newburgh Shopping Complex
- BMC Nurses Picket Claiming Unsafe Staffing Levels
- Vermont GMO Supporters Decry Federal Bill Targeting State Level Legislation
Thu December 26, 2013
NRC: Nine Mile Point Reactor Problems Resolved
Federal regulators say they're satisfied the operator of a nuclear power plant in central New York has addressed problems that led to four unscheduled reactor shutdowns last year.
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission says it did a special inspection at Nine Mile Point 1 in Scriba last month because of the shutdowns from July to November 2012.
The agency says it determined Constellation Energy Nuclear Group successfully determined the causes of the shutdowns known as "scrams" and took steps to prevent the problems in the future.
It cited the example of 14 actions the company took after the collapse of a lightning arrestor took a reactor out of service.
The NRC had classified the problems as "low to moderate safety significance."
Scriba is on Lake Ontario, 33 miles northwest of Syracuse.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.