Most Active Stories
- Cousin, 19, Charged With Murder Of 5-Year-Old After Kidnapping Hoax
- County Execs Propose Partial Funding Plan For The New NY Bridge
- Part Five Of Student Loan Series Focuses On Young Farmers
- Officials Inaugurate High Speed Rail Line In Western Mass.
- Part Two Of Student Loan Series Looks At Adult Learners
WAMC New York News
Wed March 31, 2004
Numbers in Psychiatric Centers Declining
By Brian Shields
Albany, NY – The number of patients at state-operated psychiatric centers in New York has declined significantly. The Pataki Administration is now considering closing some of the facilities as treatment of the mentally ill has moved from institutions to locally-based programs. WAMC's senior correspondent Brian Shields reports.