Most Active Stories
- Marlboro High School Students, Parents, Sue Coach, District
- Riverkeeper Raises Concern Over Fracking Waste As De-Icer For NY Roads
- Dr. Susan Fiske, Princeton University - Baseball and Schadenfreude
- Dr. David Hsu, University of Michigan – The Pain of Social Rejection
- NY: Vatican Survey & "Francis Effect"
WAMC New York News
Wed March 31, 2004
Numbers in Psychiatric Centers Declining
By Brian Shields
Albany, NY – The number of patients at state-operated psychiatric centers in New York has declined significantly. The Pataki Administration is now considering closing some of the facilities as treatment of the mentally ill has moved from institutions to locally-based programs. WAMC's senior correspondent Brian Shields reports.