Most Active Stories
- Dr. Paul Booth, DePaul University – Cultural Meaning of Doctor Who
- Complaints Voiced At Forum About VA Claims Backlog
- Dr. Frank Elgar, McGill University – Psychological Health and Family Meals
- NY AG Breaks Cigarette Trafficking Ring, Hints Terror Ties
- Dr. Claudia Buchmann, Ohio State University – Higher Education Gender Gap
New York News
Tue April 17, 2012
NY Advocates Say Condom Evidence Is Unhealthy
Advocates for New York sex workers are coming to Albany to push for legislation that would ban condoms as evidence in prostitution cases, arguing the law-enforcement tactic is bad for public health.
WAMC's Tristan O'Neill reports...
The group plans to release a report Tuesday showing that fear of police confiscation and arrest has prompted some workers to carry fewer or no condoms and have sex without them, raising the risk of sexually transmitted diseases. They'll be joined by lawmakers who support pending Senate and Assembly bills.
The 2010 and 2011 surveys of sex workers documented in the report were conducted by the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and by the PROS Network, a coalition of workers and advocates.
Tristan O'Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.