Most Active Stories
- Saratoga County Sheriff's Sgt. Resigns, Charged With Misconduct After Video Goes Viral
- Donation Of Historic Amusement Park May Be Brought To Referendum
- Maloney: de Blasio "Should Have Head Examined" After Withholding Clinton Endorsement
- Pittsfield's 3rd Thursdays Undergoes Changes For 2015 Season
- Western Massachusetts School Investigates Allegations Of Inappropriate Sexual Conduct
New York News
Tue May 15, 2012
NY Anti-Fracking Movement Gets Star-Studded Boost
The anti-fracking movement in New York State is turning up the star power with a rally and concert hosted by actors Mark Ruffalo and Melissa Leo and featuring Natalie Merchant, Joan Osborne and a host of other performers. WAMC’s Tristan O’Neill reports…
The concert tonight at The Egg in the state Capitol complex will conclude a day of demonstrations calling on Governor Andrew Cuomo to ban hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, for gas in New York State.
Ruffalo has a home in Callicoon in upstate New York. He's active in a coalition of 100 environmental, health care, political and other organizations called New Yorkers Against Fracking. The coalition is putting on the concert in Albany to draw attention to health, environmental and social problems related to shale gas development.
Tristan O’Neill, WAMC News.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.